Monday, July 21, 2008

Disney + Hyung-tae Kim

This week's challenge:

Disney Princesses tend to have classically "cute" and slightly "cartoony" builds; dainty hands and feet, tiny waists, large eyes.

Korean artist and designer Hyung-Tae Kim uses exaggerated proportions and elongated figures to create a distinct look. He also has a very distinct, painterly rendering style.

This week I will attempt to redesign Alice from Alice In Wonderland and Jasmine from Aladdin in the Hyung-tae Kim style

Design #1: Jasmine


With Jasmine, here, I thought I did a pretty fair job of duplicating Kim's painting style, less so his drawing style. There's a far subtler distortion of anatomy here than you'd find in one of Kim's designs. The face, I feel, is more accurate than the body as a whole. I had a lot of fun with this one, but I wanted my next design to more fully represent Hyung-Tae Kim's distinct aesthetic.


1 comment:

lou said...

This is cool! Thanks for the neat art.