Thursday, July 2, 2009

Final Fantasy VII + Gipi (part three)

This challenge continued...

And we're back! It really feels good to be updating again! I hope to keep it up. Let's start from where we left off, shall we?

Today, we'll be experimenting with one of my personal favorites: Tifa!



Tifa was harder than Cloud for a couple of reasons, but mainly I had a hard time adapting her costume into Gipi's style. Gipi seems to favor a sort of realism in his stories; I've never seen mini-skirts paired with pieces of armor and suspenders before. Basically what I'm saying is this: Tifa's costume is ridiculous. So, I tried to approach her design a little more practically.

Gipi's characters dress, for lack of a better term, "normally". Their clothing fits their place in time and their needs. So what would Tifa need? Well, she's basically a kick boxer/mixed martial artist. I kept the cropped tank top (don't want her to be completely unrecognizable) but swapped the skirt and suspenders for athletic shorts. I gave her foam hand guards instead of gloves, and wrapped, bandage-like fabric around her forearm instead of sleeves. Her shoes are basically the same. (I still think that if she were to go around jumping off of airships she should at least spring for a leather jacket and some...I dunno...pants? But I didn't want to stray too far.)

I think the design has it's own issues, but at the same time it feels a little more believable, and I think that's necessary for her to belong in Gipi's world.

Note: I've gone through and deleted all of the non-design posts from the blog. Most of them were about shows that have come and gone, and any artwork can also be found on my main art blog. This way the 'Blender stays neat and clean :)

1 comment:

You Don't Know Me said...

Where's her humongous chest? (I kid 'cos I love) I appreciate the costume changes, I was always annoyed by Tifa's miniskirt (her finishing move of pulling it down over her bottom before stretching was just too too too much fanservice).